- Montessori Moveable Alphabets first promote children to learn how to spell and then how to write
- Montessori Moveable Alphabets contain several pieces of alphabets manufactured out of wood that come in two wooden boxes which comprise 26 compartments each.
- Moveable Alphabets include color-coded alphabets with the Consonants colored red or pink and the Vowels being blue in color.
- Children with the help of Montessori Moveable Alphabets are able to easily learn how to create their own words, phrase sentences, and form short stories.
The use of manipulative materials during the education process is a major part of the Montessori curriculum.
The Montessori Method of education lays heavy emphasis on hands-on learning which promotes children to learn, self-correct, and grow at their own pace with trial and error.
The Montessori method of education is designed to provide the children with necessary stimuli that inspire their curiosity. Each Montessori material was meticulously developed to facilitate well-structured and balanced education to children.
The Montessori materials and apparatus cover every subject and aspect of the Montessori curriculum as well as facilitate sensorial stimulation. Each Montessori material has distinct purposes and contributions to the child’s development.
The Montessori materials provide the children with a tangible, visual as well as physical representation of topics with which children are able to understand abstract and complex subjects.
The complexity of the Montessori Materials increases along with the child’s development process to help children master new skills and achieve excellence.
The Montessori Practical Life Materials help children promote practical life skills that develop the foundation for skills that are required for Mathematics, Language, and Sensorial knowledge.
All children are unique and have their own pace of acquiring knowledge. The Montessori Method understands the importance of individuality among children and provides them with materials that can help all children learn and grow at their own pace.
Montessori Moveable Alphabets are versatile materials, as it provides children with multiple extensions that adults can use to customize according to the needs and requirements of the child.
Montessori Moveable Alphabets are an exciting transition and addition to the young children’s Linguistic curriculum after they have progressed from solely using Sandpaper Letters.
The Moveable Alphabets are used to impart reading, spelling, and writing skills. The Moveable Alphabets also help children with the development of fine motor skills that are utilized and needed for the child to hold a pencil.
What are Montessori Moveable Alphabets?
Montessori Moveable Alphabets contain several pieces of alphabets manufactured out of wood that come in two wooden boxes which comprise 26 compartments each. The pieces are organized in alphabetical order inside the box.
The Moveable Alphabets are used to help children learn how to read, write, and spell in an innovative way.
Montessori Moveable Alphabets first help children learn how to spell and then how to write. The Montessori alphabets are one of the most versatile and diverse language learning materials in the Montessori Curriculum.
The compartments of the Wooden box of the Moveable Alphabets include color-coded alphabets with the Consonants colored red or pink and the Vowels blue in color.
In comparison to the traditional language curriculum, the Moveable Alphabets of the Montessori method helps children spell and write.
This wonderful Montessori Language Material enhances children’s spelling and writing skills before they develop fine motor skills to hold pencils, pens, and other writing apparatus.
The Montessori Moveable Alphabets come in multiple Languages in different styles including:
- Cursive Letters
- Lower Case Letters
- Capital Letters
The carried alphabets help diversify the child’s writing skills before the child starts to write.
The Moveable Alphabets increase the child’s linguistic and alphabetical knowledge. The Montessori Moveable Alphabets can also be utilized as a learning extension that optimizes children’s language competency.
The Moveable Alphabets are a good transition to written language as the child was primarily acquainted with verbal language and communication.
Purpose of the Montessori Moveable Alphabets
The Moveable Alphabets are used as Preschool materials in a Montessori Environment. Montessori Moveable Alphabets serve children with multiple purposes to help the child achieve optimum linguistic development and communication skills:
- Montessori Moveable Alphabets are introduced to children between the ages of 4 to 6 years. This apparatus serves as a great transition tool for young children to move from verbal communication to written communication.
- The main purpose of the Moveable Alphabets is to help children learn how to read, write and spell.
- The Montessori Moveable Alphabets are used to help children develop the ability to understand, analyze, and reorganize phonetic sounds as well as symbols.
- The children are able to form words, phrases, sentences, and even stories.
Presentation of the Montessori Moveable Alphabets
The Adult must first understand the needs and requirements of the child before presenting the child with this material.
- Invite the child to participate in the activity and introduce the name of the material to the child.
- Ask the child to bring the box to the activity area and open the lid of the box and place the lid underneath the box.
- Describe the contents of the box to the child.
- Allow the child to become familiarized with the contents of the Moveable Alphabets.
- Demonstrate the use of the letters inside the box- how to straighten the letters to see them clearly and stack the letters in their designated compartments
- Teach the child how to take out the letters from the box and scan the letters moving from left to right.
- Lastly, teach the child how to place the letters back in their designated compartments moving from left to right starting from the top to the bottom.
Using the Montessori Moveable Alphabets
It is the Adult’s responsibility to familiarize children with the concept of Montessori Moving Alphabets.
Parents and Teachers should provide children with different instructions and activities while using the Moveable Alphabets based on their development and learning abilities.
The Montessori Method promotes four different activities meant for different stages of linguistic development.
Introducing Moving Alphabets
- The Adult must first invite the child to participate in the activity. The Adult will then open the box with the lid of the box kept underneath the box.
- The child is asked to associate the sounds of alphabets with the respective pieces.
- After the activity is completed the child will be asked to put the letters back in their designated compartments in alphabetical order moving from left to right.
- The child will continue to identify alphabets until the children are confident and comfortable with operating The Moving Alphabets independently.
Three letter words
Once the child is familiarized with identifying alphabets and associating the sound with respective letters, the adult will then proceed with the next activity.
- The Activity should be initiated when the child actively shows interest in participating.
- The Adult will invite the child to participate in the three-letter word activity and open the box and place the lid of the box underneath.
- The adult will then initiate the activity by asking the child to spell out simple three-letter words and show the child a picture of the word the child is assigned with.
- The Adult will ask the child to analyze the sound of the word and lay emphasis on the sounds.
- The child will then be asked to pick the letters from the box.
(The adult should not interfere or interject while the activity is being conducted and only help the child by emphasizing the sounds of the letters if the child is struggling.)
- The child should repeat the activity with different words.
- Once the activity is complete, the child should put the letters back in their designated compartments in an alphabetical order moving from left to right starting from the top to the bottom, and place the box back in its assigned place.
Forming Short Phrases
Before learning how to form proper short phrases, the child should have a firm hold on their vocabulary and spelling.
- Once the prerequisite requirements of the activity are achieved, The Adult will invite the child and instruct the child to form short and simple phrases.
- The adult can also use picture cards to further assist the child with building phrases.
- Once the activity is completed the child will be asked to place back the letters back inside the box in alphabetical order moving from left to right starting from the top to the bottom and placing the box back in its assigned place.
Forming Short Stories
The Montessori Moveable Alphabets are one of the most diverse and versatile materials in the Montessori curriculum.
The complexity of the Montessori Moveable Alphabets intensifies as the child progresses.
Once the child is comfortable forming small phrases independently, The adult will encourage the child to then start forming structured sentences.
Creating stories is a fun and exciting way to expand the child’s vocabulary.
The child can also use pictures to make their stories more interesting and engaging.
Just like the other activities once the child is done with the activity the adult must ask the child to place the letters back inside the box in alphabetical order moving from left to right starting from the top to the bottom and placing the box back in its place.
Are Montessori Moveable Alphabets Effective?
The Montessori Method of Education provides children with a variety of interesting Montessori Materials that enhance the child’s educational experience.
If you are not fully acquainted with Montessori Moveable Alphabets, you may have some doubts regarding its effectiveness.
Montessori Moveable Alphabets are an exceptional Montessori Material that facilitates the education of the Montessori Language Curriculum. This innovative material helps children comprehend and develop writing skills before they even begin to read!
Montessori Moveable Alphabets are extremely versatile as the complexity of the material intensifies with every progress the child makes. Moveable Alphabets are a great addition to the child’s Language Curriculum.